Xmas Lights Switch On
Droitwich Spa Christmas Lights Switch On
Entertainment in Victoria Square, 12-6pm, will include:
- Fairground rides and Farmers Market
- Storm in a Teacup Circus – LED poi and hula hooping
- Santa’s grotto in the Heritage Centre, organised by Droitwich Spa Lions
- Salvation Army Band
- ENTW9 children’s dance display
- SB Danceworks performance
- Tarantara choir performance
- A John Hemminge 400th Anniversary Tribute
- The Countdown and Switch On by the Mayor, Cllr Mrs Kate Fellows, and Shakespearean Actor (plus Santa!) at 6pm
Car parking will be free of charge from 12 mid-day on Wychavon car parks. There will be a Community Advent Celebration at St Andrew’s Church of which everyone is welcome, at 4.30pm.
This year marks the 400th anniversary of the publication of the first folio of William Shakespeare’s plays, saved by John Hemminge in 1623. On the 25th November 1556 John Hemminge was baptised at St Peter’s Church. Hemminge was a good friend of William Shakespeare. He was baptised in Droitwich in 1556, and moved to London in 1565. He later became an actor manager of The King’s Men. Together with Henry Condell, they printed 36 plays in the First Folio; saving Shakespeare for the world.